Saturday, September 26, 2009

American History Through Picture Books

N. and I have been reading our way through American History via picture books. Rather than listing them on the side bars, I am just going to jot down here the ones we have read. I haven't been good at keeping up a list so if I remember some more I'll come back and edit this post. We are now up to the Civil War.

Here is the list:

Settling of the West, Frontier and Pioneer Life:

Dandelions (Bunting)
Wagons West (Farrar)
Cassie's Journey (Brett)
Dakota Dougout (Turner)
A Fourth of July in the Plains (Turner)
Grandma's Essie's Covered Wagon (Williams)

Civil War

Abraham Lincoln (Venezia)
A Picture Book of Harriet Tubman (Adler)
A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln (Adler)
Freedom River (Rappaport)
When Harriet Met Sourjourner (Clinton)
Wagon Train (Kalman)
Almost to Freedom (Nelson)
The Gettysburg Address (Ill. by McCurdy)
Ghost of the Civil War (Harness)
Daily Life on Southern Plantation (Erickson)
Duel of the Ironclads (O'Brien)
Secrets of a Civil War Submarine (Walker)
The Last Brother (Noble)
Abe Lincoln Remembers (Turner)
Follow the Drinking Gourd (winter)
The Blue and the Gray (Bunting)
Frederick Douglas and the Last Day of Slavery (Miller)
Barefoot: Escape on the Underground Railroad
Ox Cart Man (Hall)
Birdie's Lighthouse (Hopkinson)
Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Hopkinson)
Now Let me Fly (Johnson)
The Wagon (Johnston)
The Bobbin Girl (McCully)
Popcorn at the Palace (McCully)
The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter (Olson)
Pink and Say (Polacco)
Journey to Freedom (Wright)


I know there are a bunch more we read about the Westward Expansion. I just have to find the titles so I can keep a list all in one place.

No comments: